Saturday, November 16, 2013

Checkerboard Game Table

My daughter replaced her dining table and I grabbed the old set before it hit the dumpster. No dumpster diving here!

The grandkids wore the poor table out. So I decided to refinish it. While checking Pinterest and other sites about how to go about it, I came across a few re-purposed game tables. I thought how perfect!

It turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be but I was determined.
My projects usually go like that!


In the Beginning
 So here's the table when I first started sanding it down.


After sanding, I stained it with several coats to get the color I wanted.
This color is Natural, which was the closest to the color of the bench.


These are some items I used to help mark the square on the table. 
I eventually ditched the yardstick and switched to my quilting rulers.
Each individual square is 2" x 2". The outer square needs to be at least 16" x 16".
I added a 1/4 inch border so that it measured 16.5" x 16.5"
That gave me a little room for imperfection!


The square is taped off and the rest of the table is protected with newspaper.
I started using masking tape because that's what I had on hand.
Blue painter's tape may have prevented the slight mark after pulling the tape.
Frog tape is not recommended for use with spray paint.


I used the spray paint recommended by the helpful hardware man.
This is flat black. I planned to lacquer so no need for gloss.
I followed the directions on the can.
Spraying two coats.
Let dry for a week.


I forgot to take a pic of the first set of blue tape but you get the idea.
Tape off the grid for the first set of red squares.
I couldn't find 2" blue tape so I used two strips for each row. 
Measure twice, paint once!
Blue tape doesn't stick like masking tape, which is a very good thing for this project!

I made sure to place a red square in the bottom right corner on both the players' sides.
The checkerboard has 64 squares, 32 are red & 32 are black.
Four of each color in every row - eight squares in each row - eight rows.
Sounds silly to explain that but I did come across a table that had an extra row!
There was lots of great suggestions for the project but
just glad I noticed before I taped & painted!


Sprayed with red gloss spray paint. 
I know, I know, I should have got the flat!
The helpful hardware man got me so confused and neither he or I noticed!
And by the way it's not hard to get me confused! I over-analyze things!
I let it dry according to the directions on the can.


 Wait a half hour then peel off the tape.
I wanted it to dry long enough to hold it's shape but
 not too long that the red would peel off with the tape.
Let dry a few days.


Cover the red squares with blue tape.


Then place blue tape in the opposite direction to
 form the other squares that will be painted red.


Spray with red paint.
Let dry about a half hour.
Remove all the blue tape.

This part is so EXCITING!
Look at that - it actually looks like a checkerboard! Wow! 
  Remove the rest of the tape & paper.
Let dry for 5 days.

Lightly sand to get off any tape residue and rough up the gloss paint.
Clean all dust off.
 I gave it three coats of lacquer. That's what I got out of one spray can.
I still want to add more lacquer but will wait for warmer, dryer days!
Be sure to follow the directions on the can!
Ventilation is a good thing - outside is best!


 Voila! The finished table!


 Now to find some checkers and a worthy opponent!

No comments:

Post a Comment